Botswana is a country in Africa where all foreign vehicles must pass through a pit with disinfectant solution to prevent transfer of foot-and-mouth disease in the country. If you’re planning to travel to Botswana, you must be ready to have your driving license throughout. Foreigners are allowed to use international driving permits while staying in the country for six months but the citizens are not permitted to use foreign registered vehicles.
Due to the high rental car cost, it is advisable that foreigners hire vehicles and also avoid public means of transport. It is also recommended for one to use a four-wheeled drive vehicle since the country has both tarmacked and gravel roads. You should be acquitted to the following road traffic rules when using roads in Botswana:
- Only persons aged 18 years and above are permitted to drive
- Drivers must fasten safety belts while driving
- International driving permit is valid for six months
- In case a driver wants to rent a car, he/she must be above 18 years, and the driving permit is held for one year
- Children must be put in restraints while in the car
- Use 999 as emergency number
- Always maintain left while driving
- Do not exceed speed of 120 km/h, 100 km/h, 60 km/h and 30 km/h outside built-up areas, as you approach towns, in villages and towns, and in built-up areas respectively, like Gaborone, Tlokweng, Maun and others
Drivers should obey the above speed limits and if possible avoid driving at night. Foreign drivers (like from Swaziland, Malawi, Zimbabwe, Zambia or others) should also beware of stray livestock and wildlife that can destroy vehicles. Always walk with identification documents in case you are a foreigner not forgetting to carry your phone. Most towns allow parking along the roadside in Botswana. Foreigners who intend to rent cars must provide a valid international driving permit and identification details (written in English). It is recommended that when on a long journey, a driver should carry water, fuel and emergency supplies. Finally, the most suitable time to visit Botswana is between May and August.